Friday 8 December 2006

Strange Days


My Mum was always a bit of a fanatic about spending Xmas in her own home or, if not there, at least with one of her family nearby. She certainly wanted to both wake up and go to sleep in her own bed on Xmas Day. That makes her sound as if she was much more of a stick-in-the mud than she actually was. But the result of that wish was she never spent Xmas in my home, ever since I moved away: I either went to her, or we spent Xmas apart.

In less than two weeks. J's Mother is coming to spend Xmas and New Year with us. She's a sweetheart and we get along very well, but it is going to be so odd having her here. This will also be the first Xmas since 2001 that I've spent in my own home and I'm torn between wanting to make everything as nice as possible, and feeling very unsettled about the whole thing and reluctant to make a start on the preparations. In a completely odd way, it feels like I'm being disloyal to my mother. Especially odd given that Mum died over 6 years ago.

Once a daughter, always a daughter ..........




2 comments:

Dzeni said...

Another great fractal. It is especially satisfying as it feeds my spiral addiction. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Good grief, Gill, this flame is just glorious! The colors and the light...my, my, my...*fav* ;)

I know you've been working hard to make everything wonderful for J's mother and I hope it all goes smoothly and well for all of you.
I can't tell you what to feel or that you should feel any way at all, but IMHO you're not being disloyal, no matter how it may seem. Isn't it strange how we never seem to let our mothers go completely? As you said, once a daughter...

Hang in there darlin', it'll all work out okay...I hope.:D